Loggerheads Country Park
Loggerheads Country Park is a popular visitor destination, attracting over 100,000 visitors every year. The Countryside Centre gives visitors an insight in to the history and life within the Park and provides a wealth of information and an excellent learning opportunity.
Loggerheads Country Park is an established Rural Country Park set in a limestone valley in the Clwydian Range Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It encompasses a mining and tourism history. The Park is also managed for conservation, with SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) designation and rich and varied natural habitats.
The Discovery Trail gets visitors out & about in the park. They can see evidence of the history for themselves, along with abundant wildlife. Visitors also get the chance to become a Trail Detective and collect the secret symbols.
Woodland, riverside and cliff top experiences - a fantastic day out for all the family.
For SatNav users the postcode for Loggerheads is CH7 5LH.
'Loggerheads Country Park is situated 2.5 miles south of Mold in the Community of Llanferres, and covers 80 acres of the Alyn Valley. The dominant feature of the Park is an imposing limestone cliff, Pen-y-Garreg Wen, which overlooks the Leete Path, a 4 mile walk through mixed woodland to Rhydymwyn. This walk and the surrounding countryside, have been renowned for their beauty for over 200 years. In 1985 the Clwydian Range was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) for its rich landscape. Famous visitors have included Charles Kingsley of ‘The Water Babies’, and the composer Felix Mendelssohn. Richard Wilson RA, Britain's first ‘sincere’ landscape artist, lived in nearby Colomendy Hall in the 18th Century.
'In 1926, the Crosville Motor Bus Company purchased land at Loggerheads on which they developed Tea Rooms and Gardens for the enjoyment of visitors many of whom travelled on the Company’s bus trips. Not only was there a Tea House but also a bandstand, boating lake and kiosks selling sweets and ice-cream. Loggerheads was very popular during the 1920’s and 30’s but its popularity waned after the Second World War, as the use of buses declined. In 1974, Clwyd County Council purchased the land and the gardens as a Country Park. In August 1984 the old wooden Tea Room was destroyed by fire. A new Information Centre, restaurant and visitor facilities were built to continue the tradition of providing for the enjoyment of the many tourists who still come to Loggerheads. The Park is now owned and managed by Denbighshire County Council.'
Moel Famau Country Park
On entering North East Wales you are usually greeted with the view of Moel Famau, well known for the prominent Jubilee Tower remains at the summit. It is situated within Moel Famau Country Park, 2000 acres of important upland landscape, and forms part of the Clwydian Range Area of Outstanding natural Beauty (AONB). The landscape of the park has been formed by the combination of the forces of nature and human activity. The need for fuel, building materials and grazing land, slowly cleared the woodlands that would have once covered the area.
The Park has an impressive landscape of colourful heather moorland, changing to greener grassland pastures on its lower slopes. A few windblown rowan trees and hawthorn bushes stand out amongst the gorse and bilberry. The park is also an important habitat for many birds of prey and mammals.
The remains of the jubilee Tower are at the highest point in the park at 1818ft (554m). It was built to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of George III. A storm in 1862 reduced the impressive Egyptian style monument to the ruins you see today.
The remains of three hillforts in the summits of Moel Fenlli, Moel y Gaer and Moel Arthur are signs of early human settlement. The hillforts date from 500BC to 43AD. High, vertical ramparts looming over the deep ditches surrounded the forts, a fearful challenge to any attacker looking up from the valley below.
The central feature of the Park is the seven mile stretch of the Offa’s Dyke National Trail. It takes about 40 minutes to walk to the Jubilee Tower along the Offa’s Dyke Path, from the Iron Gate car park.
‘Out & About in Denbighshire’s Countryside’ is published every January listing a wide range of Children’s activities, Guided Walks and Practical events, taking place throughout the year.